Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hot in Herre!

Hot in.....
So hot in herre.....
So hot in.....

I was like, good gracious heat's outrageous!

My apologies to Nelly but this heat wave has me almost ready to run out and buy an air conditioner. Almost.

I've never owned one and I intend to keep it that way (unless I move to somewhere where the heat is dangerous of course). I just don't want to spend the money on a unit and I dread the effect on my electricity bill and the environment. I know our ceiling fans cost money to run too, but we did try to buy very efficient fans - and they cost extra! how annoying.

Our house is now insulated (Yay! Yes, I am proud of that improvement) so it's really only on these really humid sweltering days that I feel my resolve waiver.

FREE things I do to keep cool:
  • Keep the ceiling fans on...of course (ok, not entirely free...)
  • Use evaporation! I tie a wet bandana around my neck and/or splash water on my face and arms
  • Open the fridge for 10 seconds and stand there
  • Go into the basement for 2 minutes (it's not very nice down there, but it's cool!)
  • Drop in on our friends K&K who have A/C (they think we're crazy and we have an open invitation to partake of their cooled air)
  • Do errands (again, not entirely free since I use more gas with A/C on)
Anyone else have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya... I don't have A/C either. If it's really hot, I go to Barnes or the library and wait for the house to cool off. It's amazing how much heat everything can hold.

    Good to see you back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...